Dislocation involves a complete shift of the tibia (shin bone) from it's normal position below the femur (thigh bone). At least 3 of the main ligaments stabilizing the knee are torn.
- Knee stability is dependent on these structures:
- -Main ligaments: anterior cruciate (ACL), posterior cruciate (PCL), medial collateral (MCL) and lateral collateral (LCL)
- -Joint capsule
What causes a knee dislocation?
- Can be the result of a motor vehicle accident, fall or sports-related injury
Surgical Treatment: Knee Arthroscopy
- Repair of damaged ligaments
- Menisci, if damaged, can either be removed or repaired
- Physical Therapy is an integral component to your recovery from surgery
- -Appropriate timing and progression is key to the outcome
- For further details on your rehabilitation, please see the Physical Therapy section in Patient Resources.