Scott D. Martin, MD
Dr. Martin’s primary goal is to provide the best possible Orthopedic care to his patients. His evidence-based treatments are built on outstanding and unsurpassed biomedical, basic science, and clinical research.
Dr. Martin specializes in arthroscopic surgery of the hip, knee, and shoulder. While his primary practice is in sports medicine, he also performs joint replacement surgery of the shoulder.
Dr. Martin is a team physician for New England Patriots NFL Team, as well as the medical director for the New England Revolution MLS Team. Additionally he is the head team physician for Bridgewater State University. He also is a consultant for the Toronto Blue Jays, the World Hockey League and the National Hockey League.
As the Director of The Joint Preservation Service at Massachusetts General Hospital, his goal is to provide a center of excellence for the preservation of joints and musculoskeletal tissue. He is always looking to foster collaboration with researchers who have common principles and goals.
He is a dedicated educator to medical students, residents, fellows and patients.
He is involved in a number of ongoing studies and has, in particular, concentrated on optimizing treatment for patients with labral tears of the hip and developing novel surgical techniques for hip preservation. Other areas of interest include rotator cuff injuries and ligamentous injuries of the shoulder, labral tears, femoroacetabular impingement, gluteal tears of the hip, and complex and isolated knee ligament reconstruction. Dr. Martin collaborates with the Harvard Medical School Tissue Engineering Laboratories in several projects.
- Director, Joint Preservation Service
- Director, Sports Medicine Fellowship Program
- Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
- MD, Jefferson Medical College
- Residency, Cornell – Hospital For Special Surgery
- Residency, Hospital for Special Surgery
- Fellowship, American Sports Medicine Institute
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Awards and Honors
- Golden Apple Teaching Award, Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Progam
- Distinguished Clinician Award, Harvard Medical School
- Top 100 Doctors, Boston Magazine, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020